Frenchie and Montréal

4 Sep

Eclectic Montreal!

Montreal for the weekend – visiting friends and exploring.

A dream come true!

There’s something thrilling about driving through Vermont and crossing the border.

Being in another country after a 5 hour drive.

Memories of crossing the Spanish border as a kid for a day trip during summer vacations in the south of France.

Ô Canada, me voilà !

Absorbing the sights of the historic streets in Vieux-Montréal.

Vibrant and energized all at once.

A mix of European heritage and North American friendliness.

A place where le petit-déjeuner is le déjeuner, le déjeuner is le dîner, le dîner is le souper, l’épicier is le dépanneur and les publicités in mail boxes are les circulaires.

A very tight community happy to welcome you with a big québécois smile as I made my way through the funny French pitfalls, which could only result in good-hearted laughs between me and the people I’ve met along the way.

Thanks to Nadia from La Porte Rouge, I left with some addresses and an excitement hard to disguise that only she could spark off after our email exchanges.

From the Vieux-Montréal to Rosemont through Le Plateau – colorful active neighborhoods with a certain cool factor.

Going where the locals go, tasting québécois cuisine and discovering local products.

Le Marché Jean-Talon, a myriad of colors and experiences.

Or brunching at La Grand-Mère Poule with a side of québécois fèves au lard before strolling through the Mont Royal Park.

A sunny weekend to celebrate the fading summer season and to welcome September.

It wasn’t my first time in Montreal.

And I already knew I wanted to go back to Olive & Gourmando for lunch.

Locals and tourists line up outside this cosy place.

Healthy, hearty food that just won’t disappoint.

Bustling is the word here.

And enamored I am!

The city has a different rhythm that other cities in North America.

I don’t know if it’s the ambience or the joie de vivre that the montréalais exude as they wave while riding their bikes – oui, Montréal is bike haven!

What I do know is that it’s special in its own way.

What I’ve discovered from the city’s restaurants is their use of sprouts and micro greens.

Les 400 Coups as well as Tri Express featured them in their dishes.

A subtle hint making it that much more interesting in the end.

And so it is only natural that this slivered snow pea salad with cherry tomatoes include celery micro greens.

As a way to remember Montreal and the Québécois.

Pretty and colorful.

Crunchy and fantastic.

A perfect end of summer meal.

Slivered Snow Pea Salad with Cherry Tomatoes and Celery Micro Greens

for 4

1 lb (450 g) of snow peas – trimmed and thinly slivered lengthwise

1 to 1.5 cup (150 to 225 g) of cherry tomatoes – cut in half

3 radishes – thinly sliced

3-5 oz (85 to 140 g) of feta cheese – crumbled

a small handful of celery micro greens (Note: there is a difference between micro greens and sprouts)

for the vinaigrette

2 Tbsp of olive oil

1 Tbsp of lemon juice

1 teaspoon of strong French Dijon mustard

1.5 teaspoon of buckwheat honey

sea salt and pepper

In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the lemon juice, mustard and honey. Season with salt and pepper to taste and continue to whisk. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, toss the slivered snow peas with 3/4 of the vinaigrette.

Arrange the snow peas on a serving plate. Place the radish slices in the center. Top with the cherry tomatoes.

Finish by decorating the plate and sprinkle the feta cheese and the celery micro greens on the salad.

Drizzle the rest of the vinaigrette on top and serve.

If you prefer to serve the salad in a big bowl, place all ingredients in the bowl and toss with all of the vinaigrette.

Advertisements

8 Responses to “Frenchie and Montréal”

1. ameliaschaffner September 4, 2012 at 12:47 PM #

…how I wish your blog was an in-print travel magazine!!! lovely photos and memoirs of great places and foods.

2. Annie*** September 4, 2012 at 12:54 PM #

Magnifique invitation au voyage chez “nos cousins”.
    Un mélange d’Amérique et de vieille France.
    Photos colorées, croustillantes et pimpantes, comme un dernier rayon de soleil d’été.
    Merci !

3. jamielifesafeast September 5, 2012 at 12:26 PM #

Another sensational post. I, too, remember crossing from Vermont into Canada and how thrilling it was. And a week in the region and a day exploring Montreal and I had fallen in love. I dream of being able to live in that amazing city. Your photos are stunning and renew my urge. Pretty salad and I definitely must try your salad dressing!

• David Santori September 5, 2012 at 12:29 PM #

@ Amelia: That’s a great idea!
      @ Jamie: Thank you so much. I could see a Nantes-Montreal move! 🙂

4. My Little Home and Garden September 8, 2012 at 5:47 PM #

I’ve enjoyed seeing Montreal through your camera lens. Perhaps it’s time I jumped in the car and drove for 5 hours, no border crossing needed.
    Jocelyne from “Inspired and Pretty” recommended your blog; she’s right about your marvelous photos.

5. Inspired and pretty September 12, 2012 at 11:01 PM #

Even if you hadn’t wrote Montréal in your post title, I would have instantly known it was Montréal just by looking at your first photo. Why ? The stairs and balconies ! I recognized them immediately !
    You made me laugh with the French pitfalls : Déjeuner, dîner, souper etc. lol !
    I love how you depicted the city and les Québécois ! You seemed to had a great time. Can you believe I’ve been living in Montréal/Laval for 28 years and have only been twice on the Mont-Royal. I never entered in the Cathédrale Notre-Dame and never visited Le Marché Jean-Talon ! Next time I go to Montreal, I hope to visit le Mont-Royal again.
    Thank you for this post David, I really enjoyed it !
    From Jocelyne, la Québécoise 🙂

• David Santori September 13, 2012 at 7:11 AM #

@ Jocelyne: Merci! And yes, you should visit the Jean-Talon Market, it’s quite the place to go for food lovers.

6. FrenchTwistDC October 30, 2012 at 4:23 AM #